I am in earnest – I will not equivocate – I will not excuse – I will not retreat a single inch – and I will be heard! ~ William Lloyd Garrison
Love Moments Love Life is all about cherishing the beautiful moments in life. It’s always such a joy sharing these with you in the hope to leave a smile behind.
Moments are the cherries on the icing we call life!
A Short Story
It’s amusing to see little children at church. They’re all mostly impatient wanting to run out and play. Toddlers and newly born babies are the most wiggly of the lot. The slightly older kids try their best to sit still… mass goes on for them amidst giggling, waving at each other and drawings.
This weekend Kunal & I were at church and something beautiful happened to me.
In the row before ours, there sat a little girl. She was probably 5 or 6 years of age. An adorable, pink dress and a white bow in her hair. I’m tempted to call her ‘Angel’. I never asked her name but, she left me with a lesson.
Her hair was neatly combed and the waves reached her shoulders. Every few moments, she would push a few locks behind her cherubic face.
When the choir played, this little Angel would delightfully wave her fingers as if she were the conductor. When it was time to bow and pray, she would close her eyes, fold her hands and her head would dive deep into them. Her earnest prayers were an inspiration for everyone around her.
It wasn’t Easter mass, in fact, it was a week after. The occasion wasn’t special just that she was at church with her mother.
Straight & short black hair, a slender silhouette and warm eyes. The mother looked down upon Angel to make sure she was doing ok. They smiled at each as they sang another hymn with the choir.
She stood when Father stood and kneeled gently when it was time to pray. No fidgeting and no distractions. She was focused. She sang with all her heart and prayed with every ounce of energy in her little body.
At the end of mass, I overheard someone tell her mother – “Your little girl is so good at mass. You must be proud of her”. It wasn’t just me, there were others noticing.
Angel walked away leaving me with the most important lesson of being earnest. Earnest in her behavior, her actions, her words and the way she presented herself.
The importance of being earnest
In all our pursuits, let’s persevere to be dedicated and put in an honest effort. Oblivious to who’s watching, let’s not undermine the importance of being earnest.
In God’s world, for those who are in earnest, there is no failure. No work truly done, no word earnestly spoken, no sacrifice freely made, was ever made in vain. ~ Frederick William Robertson
Being honest to ourselves and those around us means we,
1. Enjoy every moment that life has to offer as if it were a gift!
2. Focus our actions on what lies in our hands at that moment, leaving behind self-doubt
3. Do our best effort in every task we choose to do without making excuses
4. Imbibe love and honesty in our daily lives and not wait for special occasions to put on our best behavior.
5. Share our joys in small moments and big alike, never hide behind envy, ego and selfishness
6. Give unconditionally of ourselves with an open-heart
7. Obey the rules that matter and defy the ones that shackle our being
8. Put our heart and soul into our tasks
9. Be Enterprising. Dance as if no one is watching, give as if there is no turning back. Let the passion within overflow this experience of life
10. Don’t change your beliefs in truth, honesty and openness. A few sour incidents do not mean the world is full of thieves and con men.
Being earnest is not only living a truthful and sincere life. It also means standing up for your beliefs. Believing in yourself and staying focused on the task at hand.
In doing what you truly set your mind to do. Do not retreat my friends… as you realize the immense potential of your efforts, you will be heard!
Lots of wishes to you in this quest,